To Register to Vote https://secure.sos.state.or.us/orestar/vr/register.do?lang=eng&source=SOS
From the Voter’s Pamphlet:
The League of Women Voters of Corvallis supports the passage of Measure 02-123. The League, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
The League supports Measure 02-123 because it authorizes a five-year local levy to maintain funding for public services that are critical to the vitality and well-being of our community. This levy replaces the expiring levy and general obligation bond so it may result, if any, in only a modest increase in local property taxes.
We base our support on the League’s Community Planning and Library Financing positions that have been formulated after study and member agreement. Those positions call for support of services that provide high quality educational and recreational opportunities for all community members to enjoy. In particular, the Library and the Parks and Recreation Department (supports our city parks, hiking trails, Senior Center, Aquatic Center and Majestic Theatre) would face steep budget cuts if this levy does not pass. Therefore, it is vitally important to the health and well-being of our community that citizens pass Measure 02-123 so these important services are maintained and accessible for all to enjoy.
The League of Women Voters urges a YES vote for Measure 02-123 because passage will:
• Keep the Library open seven days, and enable the purchase of new books and other materials;
• Keep the Parks and Recreation Department’s youth/adult sports, classes, and community concerts;
• Keep Osborne Aquatic Center open;
• Keep the Senior Center open, including Meals on Wheels;
• Keep the Majestic Theatre open for performing arts events and artistic/cultural education; and
• Keep providing support to local social service organizations that help our most vulnerable citizens.
Please vote YES on May 21 to keep our valued city services.